Frequently Asked Questions
How do I care for my new Hurtta Product?
Washing guidelines are included in the care instructions for each garment - always follow the care recommendations given. Washing the garment at the wrong temperature, fast spinning or tumble-drying may harm the taping of the seams or other details of the garment. Avoid using fabric conditioners, as they impair the water-resistance of the Houndtex® coating.
How Do I Measure My Dog?
3. Chest measurement is taken from the widest part of the dog’s chest behind the forelegs. In order that the overalls have sufficient room for movement, the chest measurement of the overalls must be at least 2 in(5 cm) larger in small size classes and at least 4-8 in (10–20 cm) larger in large size classes. Breeds with long and thick fur need more room for the chest than dogs with short fur.
4. Waistline is taken from the narrowest section of the dog’s stomach in front of the hind legs. Always in front of the sex organs of a male dog, however. Together with the chest measurement, also the waist measurement can be several centimetres larger than the dog’s waist measurement. The waist of the Hurtta outdoor recreation overalls can be adjusted with a rubber band according to the size of each dog. The adjustability is important especially to male dogs and breeds with a narrow waist.
5. Front leg inner length is measured from the bottom of the chest along the inside of the leg to the wrist bone. The front leg should be shorter than the inside length of the dog’s leg. So that the dog can safely run and play while wearing the overalls, the front legs should at most reach the dog’s wrist. The length is correct when the front leg reaches the dog’s forearm.
6. Length of the hind leg is measured between the hind legs along the inside of the leg to the hock. The length is correct when the hind leg reaches the dog’s hock.
Head over to our Fit & Care page to see a video of how to measure your dog
Note! If the overalls are acquired to protect the fur of a longhaired dog, the legs can be longer than listed above. However, the overalls should in this case be used only when the dog is monitored by the owners.
1. Back length is measured from the withers to the base of the tail while the dog stands in the normal position (not from the collar). When measuring the back length, be very careful as depending on the dog’s position, the dimensions may vary by several centimeters.
2. Neckline measurement is taken from the widest part of the dog’s neck, i.e. from the base of the neck. The neckline of the overalls may be several centimeters larger than the neck measurement, as the neckline of the overalls can be adjusted smaller.
Which coat Is best for my pup?
Different weather and different adventures call for different coats. Check out our Compare Coats page to see the differences in our warm wear and rain wear.
In addition to our regular coats, for every day and city walks for short-haired and hairless dogs we have the Casual Quilted Jacket for robust dogs and the Casual Quilted Overall for hounds and other slim breeds.